About this Blog

The Barbie Interviews Project intends to start a discussion about how gender roles and societal structures are taught to children through user-submitted anecdotes about Mattel's iconic doll.



Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Has playing Barbies as a child affected who you are today?

"I think it encouraged me to build stories inside of my head, to put myself into a story rather than just take it in. Creating the story lines allowed me to build a story in an interactive way rather than just on paper. Because I played with Barbies, I'm pretty good at building fantastical worlds with lots of potential for characters and stories, but, since we usually abandoned a story half way through, I'm not good at finishing my ideas. But my experiences taught me to play in my own mind. I think if I ever became a fiction writer, my experiences with Barbies would play a big part in a subconscious way."


-Marcie, 21, Caucasian, heterosexual female from the United States

No comments:

Post a Comment