About this Blog

The Barbie Interviews Project intends to start a discussion about how gender roles and societal structures are taught to children through user-submitted anecdotes about Mattel's iconic doll.



Thursday, May 5, 2011

Was there any particular Barbie you asked for specifically?

"I specifically remember wanting a Barbie that came out in...probably 1995 or 1996? A Barbie in a wheelchair. I wanted this Barbie very badly because, as a child, I was very concerned with having a widely diverse population of Barbies. However, my mom apparently thought I shouldn't have this Barbie because, even though I asked for it for my birthday AND Christmas and also showed it to my mother every time we were in the store, I never got it. (Of note, my mother also generally refused to buy me Barbies of color, even though I asked. I had to recruit friends and extended family members to get me these dolls.)"


-Glenda, 24, Caucasian, queer female from Connecticut, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment