About this Blog

The Barbie Interviews Project intends to start a discussion about how gender roles and societal structures are taught to children through user-submitted anecdotes about Mattel's iconic doll.



Sunday, May 8, 2011

Did you ever wish to look like Barbie?

"I wasn't interested in blonde Barbie. I always liked the more "ethnic" looking dolls. I don't think I grew up with particularly low self-esteem, but I know I didn't look like Barbie and I also knew that Barbie was "perfect". But I still didn't want to look like her. I thought that the darker Barbies with darker hair and skin were prettier anyway. But I was envious of the doll's face. I still have issues with how I feel towards my profile. And theirs were so dainty and perfect."


-Melinda, 23, multiracial (Hispanic/Caucasian), bisexual female from Indianapolis, IN, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment