About this Blog

The Barbie Interviews Project intends to start a discussion about how gender roles and societal structures are taught to children through user-submitted anecdotes about Mattel's iconic doll.



Friday, May 13, 2011

Did you have Ken dolls? How did male dolls act in relation to your female dolls?

"I never did have Ken, nor any older siblings army guys to use. If I wanted a guy I had to choose between Woody and Buzz Lightyear, both of whom already had distinct personalities. Buzz was a playboy, but all the girls knew it so he never broke their hearts. Woody was a sweetheart. A little stubborn but he was alright. Only ever had one romantic relationship in all of my storylines. Other than that, if I needed a male, he'd have to be a toilet paper roll."


-Tasha, 17, Caucasian, heterosexual female from Central California, USA 

1 comment:

  1. When I was little, my Ken dolls were very submissive. My Barbies ran everything. They brought home the money while Ken stayed home with Tommy and Kelly.

    When I didn't have enough Kens, I'd take a old barbie and cut all her hair off and she became a man!

    ReplyDelete