About this Blog

The Barbie Interviews Project intends to start a discussion about how gender roles and societal structures are taught to children through user-submitted anecdotes about Mattel's iconic doll.



Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Would you buy Barbies for your children? Why or why not?

"yes, because kids have such high pitched voices that when they start complaining it makes me want to faint. I always debate wether to buy my future kids the kind of horrible toys, junk food, video games, and so on that I grew up with. I like to think that I learned how awful all of it was through experience, and so it's a truth I know more deeply. But it could be that I was subjected to a lot of terrible things because my parents just didn't have the energy to fight all the desires that tv commercials on nickelodeon put in my head."

-Jordan, 23, Caucasian, bisexual trans-female from France 

No comments:

Post a Comment