About this Blog

The Barbie Interviews Project intends to start a discussion about how gender roles and societal structures are taught to children through user-submitted anecdotes about Mattel's iconic doll.



Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Would you buy Barbies for your children?

"It's hard to say. I would like to say that I probably wouldn't, or that I'd have, like conditions or something. I'd like to think that I'd make sure to only give them toys that helped them, um, develop and whatnot, and that I'd try rather to make sure that whatever they played with had more of a creativity/individuality element to it, I guess. However, it is really hard to say for sure. You don't really know for sure what you will or won't do as a parent until you have a child, hold that child in your arms for the first time, etc. ...I wanna say that I know what I would or wouldn't get for them, but I could also see myself not being able to help but spoil the crap out of them. As far as I can speculate, though, I probably wouldn't get them Barbies."


-Addison, 20, Puerto Rican, gynesexual, androgynous individual from The United States

No comments:

Post a Comment