About this Blog

The Barbie Interviews Project intends to start a discussion about how gender roles and societal structures are taught to children through user-submitted anecdotes about Mattel's iconic doll.



Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How did other people influence the way you played Barbies?

"My friends were freaked out by the bondage (I was always contriving some way to get them tied up-guys and girls alike) and crime related plots. My siblings were annoyed by my obsession with fantasy, insisting that wizardry and hobbits not be involved. Also, my father's failed attempt to get me to give up my favorite doll (who was black) and comments by some kids was something that influenced how I thought of racism (mainly that the doll was still as beautiful and perfect as ever, but that people were mean)."


-Reese, 22, White and Native American, genderqueer individual from the United States

No comments:

Post a Comment